27 January 2013

Fashion Design-Essential Reading

As you're probably aware by now, I'm currently studying for a Degree in Fashion Design at Bath Spa University. When I first got my reading and kit lists through I felt overwhelmed with all the different choices of equipment and study materials; I also emailed my course leader before I had my place confirmed to ask about which books where good to be reading before I even started the course. So here's my list of my essential/recommended reads for any budding Fashion Design students.

1. 200 projects to get you into Fashion Design
I wish someone had given me this book when I was 14/15! When I would of had more time or possibly could of even used it in my Art GCSE to work through all the different exercises. This would be a great one to do over a summer completing 1 or 2 exercises a day to get you really into creating sketchbooks and getting started on thinking about the design process.
2. The Basics Fashion Design Series (AVA)
This series is possibly on every single Fashion Design Reading list. I was first told about them during my AS levels (more on that later) and have been building up my collection ever since. They are the closest thing to a proper textbook that the course has, as each book covers a different area of Fashion, starting with Research and Design, Textiles and Fashion right through to developing a collection, and styling.
3. New Fashion Designers Sketchbooks
This book is great, if like me, you aren't 100% happy with your sketchbook skills, as it shows you a wide variety of new graduates sketchbooks. It was interesting and inspiring for me to see the variety of sketchbooks and techniques used by other students, and gave me confidence that not all sketchbooks were incredibly art heavy, some where much more functional.
4. Flat pattern cutting and modelling for Fashion
Once you start a degree it will be essential to you that you have a pattern cutting book for reference. My personal favourite is Helen Stanley's, however there are plenty of other books available for all levels of pattern cutting so its just a case of going into a book shop, having a flick through them all and working out which one (or two) is the best for you.
5. Coffee table Books of your favourite designers
I was often told by my tutors before degree that these books were kind of pointless, but personally if I ever get time to myself to read I love to flick through books based on my favourite designers. I find it really inspiring to look through all the beautiful images from past collections and this can also lead to my own inspiration. If you love a designer, there is no shame having reference books, they will help to keep you motivated and cheer you up on down days. My personal favourite is Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty
My university Room book shelf (minus my pattern cutting books which are in the studio currently)

Hope this helps :) And feel free to ask any other questions
FFF x

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST.

    I do fashion at the moment and off to uni to do fashion design next year. I browsed amazon for hours to search for books to buy for help and was so confused at which would and wouldnt help!

    I have bookmarked this post for reference closer to september :)

    Btw, I would recommend you try the dressmakers bible and 100 years of fashion illustration. They are both very good xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dressmakers bible is currently living with my pattern cutting books in the studio :)
    These will probably be on any reading lists sent out before you start but its always good to know a few in advance for birthdays etc
    Where have you applied?
    x

    ReplyDelete