20 January 2013

Pattern Cutting

As I previously mentioned, on my course I have been lucky enough to spend the last few weeks before Christmas focusing on my pattern cutting skills. We were initially taught a range of basic pattern manipulations such as adding flare, removing darts and creating certain seams within a pattern. After this initial crash course we were then set and independent pattern cutting project in which we would need to put everything we'd just learnt into practice.
Milly A/W '12
We were given this photograph along with our main brief for the project, it then dawned on us that this was the skirt we were going to have to recreate from scratch. After the initial panic and having time to draw technical flats things began to become  a bit less scary. All the techniques we would need to pattern cut the skirt we had already covered in our initial lectures, and we also had a few top-up lectures for things like pockets and zips.
In total we each made 3/4 toiles in order to perfect the fit and things like the angle of the pleats and creating the right amount of kick/flare in the skirt. 





A selection of my toiles and my final skirt interpretation 

Overall I was quite happy with how this project went, and I feel my pattern cutting knowledge and skills greatly improved. This project has made me super excited to work on my pattern cutting further and see how much more I can do.
fff x 

No comments:

Post a Comment